IOT design should be based on solving problems not for the sake of making a device smart.

Get it out! Tell us what you think SHOULD happen (or not) in the world of technology!

Should all devices be IOT?

You may select 1 option

View results

IOT2018

IOT design should be based on solving problems not for the sake of making a device smart.

Post by IOT2018 »

I have realized that more and more devices around are “SMART” because I need to “talk” to my fridge or cable box instead of pushing buttons. It may have started innocently as product labeled “IOT” simply just sell. Now as more and more connected to my phone or somehow to the home/cloud network. I am not sure that I am liberated or enslaved.

1. Security and privacy are becoming more and more problematic. Put it simply I feel like personal data is being sent all the time everywhere.
2. I may have spent more time restarting systems, doing upgrades and just from time to time having to pay attention to some apps otherwise wouldn't have needed.
3. The frustration if communication was not understood or network is down
4. Overall the constant question: Do they make my life better?Don’t I still need to exercise? Is walking to my cable box too much?

What do you think?
IOTfuture

Re: IOT design should be based on solving problems not for the sake of making a device smart.

Post by IOTfuture »

It's becoming more of a moral question than technical.
Why would companies design products to still give users control.
Look at APPLE. It does everything in it's power to make sure that your only option is to keep buying new products.
It was done so brilliantly under the disguise of innovation.
Surely there are certain features that should not be left to individuals. But to what extent?

What are we stuck with? Software updates for many years.
Do you read and understand all the service agreements and updates?
Who would have thought now your relationship with your fridge(really it's maker) is for life...
Change

Stop "rush to market"

Post by Change »

It's the first time that actions can be taken by real life items. For better they can really help us and for worse they can also hurt us intentionally or not. The line is becoming blurred between the virtual and real worlds.

Is there a solution? To do it properly and ethically, we need to stop the "rush to market" method. I know that companies don't and may never have the incentive to do so. Isn't that why government exists?
Only when penalty is imposed on the "non doer", companies would have incentive to invest on safety.