You should try this If your microphone stopped working recently (Oct. '18) in Skype, Windows 10

Get it out! Tell us what you think SHOULD happen (or not) in the world of technology!

This fix worked for me

You may select 1 option

View results

CataCluj

You should try this If your microphone stopped working recently (Oct. '18) in Skype, Windows 10

Post by CataCluj »

My microphone just stopped working in Skype on Windows 10.
I was sticking to the older Skype 7.something as lately every update seems to take away something I like.
Anyway, "they said" 7 will stop working so I thought that's what happened so I upgraded to latest 8.30.something.
Still no microphone.

Searched everywhere and only got crap as answers. I noticed other people had same problem.
I even tried the new Skype App and there the camera didn't work either, but I got a clue it might be about privacy settings.

Long story short, I was eventually able to fix my problem and if it helps anybody, here is what worked for me:
- Get to Settings (Click on notifications "square" on bottom-right, then "All Settings")
- Click on the Settings Search bar (middle near the top of the settings window) and start typing "Privacy".
- You should get some options to choose from; among them Camera and Microphone privacy settings.
- Choose whichever you have problems with, and you'll get to a window that allows you to turn "Allow apps" ON and select which apps you want to allow.
- Of course, allow Skype if that's what brought you here.
I'm not entirely satisfied why this worked for me; as I have 2 "Skypes" and only one appeared in the list, but it worked.
I hope it works for you too.