Android trials for paid apps should offer "cancel" button

Get it out! Tell us what you think SHOULD happen (or not) in the world of technology!
SomeAppUser

Android trials for paid apps should offer "cancel" button

Post by SomeAppUser »

I recently installed an app to identify plants, not knowing it's a time limited trial.
I don't know if I missed that or they didn't even say it in which case SHAME ON THEM!
Many apps are hobbled in some ways, or ads, until you pay something; that's what I expected.
In this case, I started the app and got to a screen telling me this was a 7 days trial and do I want the trial?
I clicked on "Trial" and a new screen came up, that gave me payment options (monthly or discounted yearly $30) but there was NO CANCEL button. Only payment options.
And the credit card linked to the account was shown there.
I just wanted a one-off plant identification; it wasn't worth my time even to go through the trial if I had to cancel it before seven days.
So I used the back button and the app started to work. Of course that may be a problem: Did the app start the trial? Will I have to cancel? After all it's $30 that I don't want to lose.
All in all it's an unpleasant situation that could have been avoided by having a cancel button or letting me know what would happen if I click on the "Trial" button.
Note: the order of the screens, etc. might have been different but the point is that at the time I accepted the trial I didn't know that I would be entered into an agreement that had to be cancelled. I expected that at the end of the trial the app would stop working or get hobbled unless I "THEN" make payment arrangements.
DongLi

Re: Android trials for paid apps should offer "cancel" button

Post by DongLi »

I agree.
What a good idea.