People shouldn't think tech layoffs are all bad

Get it out! Tell us what you think SHOULD happen (or not) in the world of technology!
ChangedMyMind

People shouldn't think tech layoffs are all bad

Post by ChangedMyMind »

If Twitter is still running fine (ignoring recent changes that are irrelevant to infrastructure) then at least some of the 50% that were laid off were probably slacking off.

I've also heard of people working at FAANGs who hardly work and just float by. Maybe this is team specific but I've heard of cult-ish and frat behavior.

So maybe these tech layoffs are not such a bad thing after all. Maybe they are a wake-up call for the industry to get rid of the dead weight and focus on the real talent. Maybe they are a chance for the workers to find more meaningful and challenging jobs elsewhere. Maybe they are a sign of the times, that tech is not immune to the economic and social changes happening around us.

Of course, I'm not saying that all tech layoffs are justified. There are certainly cases where good people lose their jobs due to bad management, unfair policies, or external factors. There are also cases where tech companies abuse their power and exploit their workers, or where workers face discrimination and harassment. These are serious issues that need to be addressed and resolved.

But I do think that some tech layoffs are justified, and that we should not automatically assume that they are a tragedy or a failure. Sometimes they are a necessary and beneficial part of the evolution of the industry and the society.
WebSurfer

Re: People shouldn't think tech layoffs are all bad

Post by WebSurfer »

I agree.
Furthermore, all things are cyclical. What goes up must go down from time to time.
I hope they all find jobs where they do something useful.